Fresh Broccoli Salad with Maytag Blue Cheese

Look Christmas-y, but it's a salad for all seasons.

If I had to choose one green vegetable I could not live without, it would be broccoli. Sorry, Brussels sprouts; you did come in second. Kale, you are chic right now, but no.

Broccoli is tops.



I like it hot. I like it cold. I like it in soup. I like it in stir fries. I like it in salad. I like it in omelets, casseroles, and plain. I would eat it for every meal, but I'd get mighty bored, I suspect, in a year or two.

Doing a search on this blog, I was stunned to see not a single recipe featuring broccoli. What was I thinking?

A friend brought a triangle of Maytag Blue cheese the other day, and that led to this salad, similar to one I enjoyed in a Door County restaurant.

Broccoli Salad with Maytag Blue Cheese (2-3 servings)

For the topping:
  • 1/2-2/3 cup chopped walnuts, roasted
  • scant tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • dash sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat walnuts with melted butter and maple syrup, plus a dash of sea salt. Place in a shallow baking dish or roasting pan, or on a cookie sheet. Roast for about 15 minutes. No need to drain the roasted nuts. Set aside to cool.


For the salad:

  • 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
  • 1 cup Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, chopped
  • 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries or sultana raisins
  • 1/4 cup Maytag blue cheese

Wash and chop broccoli, apple, onions and toss in a bowl with bacon and cranberries. Crumble the blue cheese on top.


For the dressing:

  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • drippings from pan used to roast nuts
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • dash sea salt and pepper


Combine all ingredients in small bowl, using whisk to beat smooth. Pour over salad. Allow to chill for two hours before serving.

I'm either cooking for two or for myself; if you need to feed a larger crowd, simply double the ingredients.





Comments

Penny said…
Love this salad Mimi. I love broccoli too. I am also happy that my Granddaughter's favorite vegie is broccoli.
Unknown said…
Getting kids to eat vegetables is often as struggle: Why is that? Peas and corn were the only things I'd eat as a child.
Anonymous said…
me want
Anonymous said…
Mimi how do you feel about frozen broccoli? also is broccoli rabe available around here?
Unknown said…
Editrix, I have a post about frozen broccoli coming up in a week or so. It's better than not having it.

I saw broccoli rabe at the Marinette Angeli's on Sunday and I would guess it is in Menominee, too.

Popular Posts